Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

How is your view on other countries ?

<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:19

Re: How is your view on other countries ?

Well, it's not like everyone knows English nowadays. Young people - most of them know English here, better or worse. Older Polish people - probably no one knows it, although maybe it's because my country was quite a closed one. So it's a normal thing for me that not everyone knows English. Although, in 20 years or something, it will become harder to find people that didn't touch English at all.
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:23

Don't really have an opinion about all the Polish people, just the one that i'm obligated to work with and he is really really lazy :( (government-employee kinda guy) and he only replies to me in Polish instead of English :/
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:25

Sado and TDL, I won't answer anymore as you didn't read my posts and/or totally misunderstood me.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:34

:(
<<

Da Revolution

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:37

A typical Polish person is exactly the opposite of sado.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Buddha
<<

WollongongWolf

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:45

Don't really have an opinion about all the Polish people, just the one that i'm obligated to work with and he is really really lazy :( (government-employee kinda guy) and he only replies to me in Polish instead of English :/
WHUUUUUUTTT????
My view on Polish people: not always too smart (my experience when working with them in the greenhouse) but damn they work hard. It's more likely there is peace in the world then I can work harder then them xD.
And I saw somewhere a picture of a Polish stereotype: I studied a master [very difficult course] and now work in a greenhouse (if you see what I mean, it was something like that), and I think I can agree on that :P.
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

Post 23 Jul 2013, 15:29

WHUUUUUUTTT????
My view on Polish people: not always too smart (my experience when working with them in the greenhouse) but damn they work hard. It's more likely there is peace in the world then I can work harder then them xD.
And I saw somewhere a picture of a Polish stereotype: I studied a master [very difficult course] and now work in a greenhouse (if you see what I mean, it was something like that), and I think I can agree on that :P.
haha, yeah well i don't work face to face with this senior :P just by e-mailing our work to each other.. Plus this man is probably financed by the Polish tax payers so he doesn't have to work hard to get paid.
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

ChrisEggII

Sword Fighter

Post 23 Jul 2013, 16:51

Come on, it's stupid already that some people don't know English at all. We're not living in 1900 anymore, you need some basic English skills these days. I pity everyone lacking them. :rolleyes:
English isn't an international language in every region.... Like Russia and other countries which belonged to CCCP. For example: Belarusians don't have to know English, because their international language is Russian. Also in Near East this is Arabian, in Far East - Cantonese... There are 2 more official ONZ's languages: French and Spanish. I would say something about Esperanto, or Serbo-Croatian, but this is other story...
<<

Bence791

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 18:29

English isn't an international language in every region.... Like Russia and other countries which belonged to CCCP.
Indeed. For example there are many adults in Hungary that know Russian even if it was never an official language here. But, quite some knows English as well, since nowadays on the internet you usually have to know it if you want to understand something. There isn't everything that is available in your native language (except for English). :D

P.S.: What is Serbo-Croatian? o.O Don't you mean Slavic?
The Kamper is always taking my colour!

<<

WollongongWolf

Lance Carrier

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 23 Jul 2013, 18:52

Ok my little point on having to be able to speak English:

Let's go back, say, 2000 years? Yes the Roman empire. Now before that we also had plenty of other "empires"(or whatever it's called, I'll keep referring to it as empires), but the area of the Roman Empire was huge, influencing all languages in the area (French, Spanish, Italian etc.). Common language back then was Latin, which we still see in Biology (Ecology) and Medicines. That's I think a clear example of the influence of empires.
Now let's move in time, to 400 years ago. The end of the Dutch Golden Age because England and France took over the trading (learn history if you wanna know the whole story, that goes for this whole post actually XD). This was also the time America was being conquered, the south by mainly the Iberian countries, the north by England and France. After the french and indian war, America mainly became a part of Great Britain, thus mainly speaking English, which still is their main language. With all the shipping, the world is already getting more and more connected and surprise surprise, more languages influencing each other (look at Africa for example).
Now lets hop to around 1800, just after the time of Napoleon, the time of the industrial revolution, starting in England, so they were ahead and became the dominating nation. That was until the first world war, were whole Europe was being slaughtered. America came in and being barely damaged, they became the next dominating nation (and they also spoke english). This remained pretty much unchanged after WW2 (remembered how they "forced" anti-colonisation). The other victors of WW2, well, GB and France had very little influence as they had to rebuild a lot, Germany was under tight control of the Allied army. Which leaves us Russia, or the Soviet Union in that time. However, they were communists. Communists (as we see now in North Korea as well) are very much on there own, not relying on other countries. Basically their own world. Same with China until a few decades back. That's why English is the main language in the Western world.
Today, things have changed. Germany is a lot more important, China is getting more and more important. And a lot of Eastern Europian countries are joining the EU, which I used to call "Western Europe". So basically they are joining the English speaking world, the world of coca cola and Hollywood and lord knows what. Everything is english, just like the influence (though not universal) from the Roman Empire (to close the circle).

And yes i was bored xD, and no offence to anyone, just trying to tell why English is so dominant.
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Jul 2013, 20:42

All I see is "blah blah blah" Everyone knows English is dominant because of America! :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 24 Jul 2013, 10:04

But that's only half the truth.

The other half is that english is easy to learn.
If you don't believe, try german :ugly:
<<

ChrisEggII

Sword Fighter

Post 17 Aug 2013, 00:04

German is not that difficult. I learned this 6-9 years ago and, as I remember, this was much easier than Russian. Also I remember my "adventures" with Xhosa. You won't even say corectly name of this language.

Return to “General Chit Chat”