Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

How is your view on other countries ?

<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Jul 2013, 07:48

Re: How is your view on other countries ?

Although sado's rather negative, I have to admit it's very close to the truth.. (with the stereotypes and all).

Buuuut, America also has awesome things. Like men with guns at the airport and very good television series. They also give streets numbers instead of names in large cities, which seems pretty useful to me. I also like the language (much better than 'real' English).
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Jul 2013, 09:25

Amercians are nasty. (and spies :p)
That was my pretty objective thought !
<<

WollongongWolf

Lance Carrier

Post 20 Jul 2013, 17:50

To me americans are always big: big buildings, big people (in weidth), big cars, big corn fields, big beautiful nature areas, big tornados, big gun policy, big army, NASCAR (and Indycar), big rascist (the south though) big country fans xD, big gardens, big homecide (or soemthing like that) rate, basically anything big (and as you can see, that can be positive and negative).

Btw I'm curious how americans think of Canada xD

@Anti, lately I was at Schiphol and we also seemed to have armed men walking around there ;) though perhaps you mean like on every corner of the room, in that case, yeah xD
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Jul 2013, 03:20

Hey! I wanted to know when America was allowed to share her view on other nations, not viceversa :P

Anyway, following picture sums it up. I agree with it 100%: it is pure genius.

The humor in this picture is not in the stereotypes of the countries of the world, but of America, itself. Americans have a very near-sighted view on other countries. You can see how America is as large as Eurasia, which shows American pride. The terribly drawn shapes of the landmass shows American intellect. Also, all we can say about Australia is "kangaroos" and that's actually pretty much everything the typical American knows about Australia :P
Btw I'm curious how americans think of Canada
I'm actually a good person to ask this, because I actually live very close to canada. I can see Canada from the window from where I work, actually.

When I asked my friend of his view on them (Canadians), he merely said "They suck." And that settled it :P Mostly, we are saying that they just come to our country to buy our cheap products. If anyone on my city does something stupid, whether because they drive bad, asked a dumb question, etc., it automatically makes them "a dumb Canadian."

I never understood what was up with all the Canadian hate. I never joined that bandwagon myself. Besides, my favorite girl is Canadian :D
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Jul 2013, 08:22

Besides, my favorite girl is Canadian :D
QFT (H)
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 22 Jul 2013, 14:04

I agree on Sado's point of view, america mostly think that they are superior but French people are the same, last year i was on vacation in France and no one spoke English until i cursed them >.<

But than again I think everyone perfers their own country.

Haha, speeking of stereotypes~

I work at a transport company and it seems that, according to our truck drivers, everyone in the eastern europe countries are truck drivers too and they are stealing our freight!
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 22 Jul 2013, 22:13

I agree on Sado's point of view, america mostly think that they are superior but French people are the same, last year i was on vacation in France and no one spoke English until i cursed them >.<
Well French prefer to speak French in France. I don't see the problem here :o
We're probably not the best in English (at all), but French is a language that is quite a lot spoken when you think of it, so it's rather visitors that should learn French a bit to at least know how to say "I don't speak a lot of French, can you speak english ?" in our language.

Although I agree, sometimes people are not nice to visitors :(
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 23 Jul 2013, 03:16

I'm of the opinion that citizens of the United States (and this would also apply, respectively, for any other country if I lived there) should be able to speak fluent English. When people immigrate and can't speak English, it is really a problem because most people here only fluent in English.

I guess that's kind of a random random point though :P

For a long time, I always just thought English was a silly language, because of all the exceptions in grammar that there are. In fact, there are so many that often is is easier to just memorize specifics rather than general rules. Most notorious of all rules is the "I before e" rule. Many of English's qwerks come from the many influences in the language, but it is just these influences that make English so great. English has thousands upon thousands of colorful words to describe or detail a scenario, object, etc in specific ways. This makes writing (and reading) so much more deep and enjoyable. I love studding vocabulary, and using "big words" to dumbfound my friends :P

I used to collect vocabulary books for a source for "not well known words" since dictionaries are full of common words, too, but I have found a really cool webpage with lots of interesting words. Check it out: http://wordwarriors.wayne.edu/list.php
I used to spam this forum so much...
<<

WhiteWolf

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 23 Jul 2013, 11:58

French a bit to at least know how to say "I don't speak a lot of French, can you speak english ?" in our language.

Although I agree, sometimes people are not nice to visitors :(
Mostly i opent with 'Bonjour' followed by 'Vous parlez anglais?' because that is all the french i know xD ooh an 'je mappelle Julian' (don't really no the grammar)

However in 2009 i was on holiday in New York and we traveled north and in the small town of woodstock there was a french guy which had an B&B and he was really nice xD ..
There is no such thing as innocence only degrees of guilt.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 13:05

Oh well in that case, you found some nasty French :p who usually are like that with other French too :/
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jul 2013, 13:20

So, French never speak English unless you ask them in French to do so? No offence Shad, but this is pretty strange... eh, at least I guess you don't steal cars; speaking of which, no one said anything yet about... Poland! What do you know about Poland and Polish people?
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 13:47

No, French do speak english, but after all you can't really complain about French speaking French in France right ? And if you don't know ANY WORD in French, it's possibly a bit annoying when visiting and asking help, because sometimes French people don't know english that much and they just give up if you can't at least say that you want to speak english and ask only for help.
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 23 Jul 2013, 13:58

Yes, French speaking French in France is normal. But when someone would ask me in English on the street (like "do you speak English?"), I would just answer "yes" and started talking in English. I don't see a problem if someone comes to Poland and doesn't speak Polish :P If French people disagree with me, then whatever, I'll make sure to learn a few basic sentences or something.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:06

Nah it's just, most of people will reply in English of course, but some people don't know renglish AT ALL, so of course, saying in French that you can only have an extended conversation in English seems normal for these people deosn't it ?
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 23 Jul 2013, 14:10

Come on, it's stupid already that some people don't know English at all. We're not living in 1900 anymore, you need some basic English skills these days. I pity everyone lacking them. :rolleyes:

Return to “General Chit Chat”