Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

Hey guys

<<

MrcredsAlex

Rogue

Post 21 Mar 2009, 12:35

They took out 16bit programs on Vista x64 on purpose.
They took the whole 16bit compatibility layer out of all 64bit windowses. Those OS's can not even enter 16bit mode by themselves and 16bit programs can not be interrupted (not without killing them) so they can easily lock up the system - before you even get a chance to kill them. And like 99% of the 16bit programs is over 10 years old.
Of course it is annoying sometimes.. but not very often
Yeah I know... :P
Paths with whitespaces on the end shouldn't matter, they are ignored.
Not if you append something to it, you'd have to trim the path first (which isn't any effort compared to finding out that you have to do it, but it shouldn't be needed)
I said on the end :D
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 09 Jun 2009, 20:55

Yay, It's my birthday tomorrow! :P (dat means I'm sixteen tomorrow, only two hours to go! :wink: )
Shame that this couldn't be at weekend, I still need to get to work (I was lucky to get a summer job because of the worldwide economy crisis).

And birthday means also few gifts including little bit money so I decided to start enjoying in advance by ordering that new hardware I've been waiting for.

Upgrades:

Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-VM ---> ASUS P5Q Pro
RAM: 4x 512MB = 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 MHz ---> 2x 2GB = 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 (latencies: 5-5-5-15)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ ~2.40 GHz ---> Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ ~3.00 GHz (I don't have any need to overclock -- yet)

I also ordered Noctua NH-U12P CPU fan, which should be more quiet than the basic fan included with the CPU.
Everything was bought as cheap as it could be bought here but as you can see, Finnish is quite expensive country after all. :(
Well, maybe I could have got ten euros smaller costs by searching that fan and memory modules from two more different stores but
I wanted to finally get some rest after hard working day and long time browsing & searching that hardware.

Costs:

P5Q Pro: 115,00 + 2,95 postage* = 117,95 ?
Noctua NH-U12P: 56,40 + 2,95 postage* = 59,35 ?
Kingston 2x 2GB: 52,80 + 2,90 postage = 55,70 ?
Intel E8400: 139,90 + 10,90 postage = 150,80 ?

All costs: 383,80 ?

*Same order from the same store. Postage = 5,90 ?)
<<

T*AnTi-ViRuZ

Post 09 Jun 2009, 21:10

Nice!

Motherboard and CPU are very good choices. That E8400 is very oc'able.

In a few weeks I'm getting a new PC too.
Core i7 920 (D0 steppig), 6GB Memory, 4x WD Caviar Black (RAID 10),
Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler, Thermaltake Armor+ 6000BWS case, HD4770 GPU, and so on..

For ?1224,- :wink:

Have fun with your new system!
<<

harold

Knight

Post 10 Jun 2009, 13:02

For that much RAM and a CPU like that (which you can CO massively), I would definitely have gotten a better GPU.. A GTX 285 or maybe even a GTX 295
But hey, up to you :)
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 10 Jun 2009, 14:22

Yeah, if you're still running a Geforce 7300 don't expect to get too much power out of your new components.
<<

Juba

Barbarian

Post 11 Jun 2009, 17:18

Main reson to motherboard and memory module changes is that one of my (4) old memory modules or one of motherboard memory slots is little bit broken. Not often but sometimes when I logged in (Xp) everything froze and after a moment blue screen appeared. Unfortunately this happened too seldom & randomly so the store didn't accept my warranty request because I could still use it. Dam those idiots. :evil:

Forgot to mention; those memory modules have 1066 MHz clock speed, othrwise (e.g. 800 MHz) it would have been like ten euros cheaper.

I wanted to buy Dual Core CPU even though the Quad Core CPU:s are coming (I think I won't need them for few years). I find E8400 has very long lifespan. I also find that E4600 is not so overclockable than E8XX CPU:s. After all, E8500 was like 30 ? more expensive than E8400 and I don't want to pay that much for 0,16 GHz (300 MHz) higher clock speed. It's also easier to change the fan because there is no need to remove old heatsink.
Yeah, if you're still running a Geforce 7300 don't expect to get too much power out of your new components.
Well, I except that there will be no blue screen problems, faster boot time and "normal" use. I need to thank myself for chosing to buy my current 20" widescreen display. Otherwise I wouldn't have got this GeForce for the bargain* (integrated GPU of P5GC-VM has only three resolution options up to 1280x1240, so the salesman offered it for free to get full advantage of the display).

I still think I don't need to upgrade to better GPU but when I upgrade, the new one will be denifitely NVIDIA product. I've compared the NVIDIA Control Panel and the Catalyst Control Center and I don't like the CCC at all. I think the NVIDIA Panel was better in every ways and it was even in my language (I don't really need Finnish translations but extra is always better) with some older drivers...

I still think I don't need to upgrade to better GPU, because I don't need so much 3D/graphic-power out of my components. Have I said here before that I don't play much and I mostly focus on older games?

*I guess I dont' know the right expression/words for that...
<<

harold

Knight

Post 11 Jun 2009, 17:25

GPU's are increasingly being put to other uses though - mostly number crunching (so also physics simulations, even video transcoding etc)
But hey, if you don't need it you don't need it :)
<<

Litude

King Karolus

Post 11 Jun 2009, 18:19

Well I guess if you do a lot of video encoding or compression or some similar stuff (well emulating old games can also be quite CPU costy) that requires CPU power they will be put to use quite well, but in case you want to play some modern games I'm just warning you not to do the same mistake I made once when I got a good amount of ram and a decent CPU and coupled them together with a Radeon 9200. It wasn't even close to powerful enough to allow me to play any post 2004 games at decent graphical settings.

As for the Catalyst Control Center < Nvidia Control Panel. Have to agree, no idea about the language stuff (prefer to keep everything English), but it just takes ages to start up the CCC whilst Nividia control panel opens up pretty much instantly. Not to mention CCC throws up quick links to get to it pretty much everywhere causing you to press it in mistake and then waiting some minutes for it to start :P. Besides the Nividia Control Panel uses a very clean layout making it easy to locate the stuff you need to tweak.
<<

Categoricus

Warrior

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 07 Nov 2009, 12:14

Let's see, guys, what I have. Although you may feel yourself fallen back to the ancient ages, I'll share my configuration with you below.
  • ABIT nForce 7 motherboard
  • AMD Athlon 1800 MHz CPU (running at 2500+ but officially supporting 3200+, never tried the latter)
  • Since my 400W power supply went off I'm using a 370W one (I'm not satisfied with this, breathed-out air should be much colder, the old one was OK), at least it's quite quiet (not like my CPU fan and HDs :wink:).
  • 512 MB RAM
  • graphic card is NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 (AGP 8?)
  • HP D2837 monitor (17") supporting at least 1280?960, never tried higher, although Nvidia setup for Linux seems to allow more. Now my resolution is 1152?864.
  • USB 2.0
  • an on-chip NVidia and a CMI8738 sound card.
  • an on-chip NVidia and a 3com 10/100 network adapter.
    (about on-chip hardware I couldn't figure out more labelling info on Linux)
  • A 40 GB and a 80 GB hard disk on IDE, one with 300 GB on USB
    On the first one I'm about to reinstall Windows XP SP3, the second has Ubuntu 9.10 (released about a week ago), the third stores my installer files and backup archives
Tell me if something is missing from the list.

EDIT:
In December 2012 I've managed to get a completely new hardware configuration. This one is delicious, considering all the previous ones I used to deal with. I'm not sharing the details with you though, 'cause years seem to have made me selfish. (6)
Primus Christianus Hungaricus Categoricus

Return to “Computers & Technology”