Ping problems

<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 12 Oct 2013, 17:03

Ping problems

Posting this in this section since I don't want to blame the Remake yet :P

So. I've got 2 computers: a laptop and a PC. Laptop is fine with the Remake, but PC since some time (might be it happened around the time I installed Remake 5503... I almost never use the PC) has inacceptable ping spikes in the Remake. PC is connected with Ethernet, to the same router that my laptop connects to over wireless. What can I try to determine what might be the issue here? Strangest thing is, I had this problem on Windows, and now that I installed Linux on it, and installed Remake from scratch (with Wine), it's the same (on Linux the "default" ping seems slightly higher, the spikes stay 600ms like on Windows).

(The problem is, my laptop is broken now, I didn't mind about PC having this problem until my power socket in the laptop screwed up :x)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 12 Oct 2013, 17:47

Re: Ping problems

Use a traffic monitor to see what's taking up all the bandwidth.
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 12 Oct 2013, 18:42

Unless I misunderstood your question, it's not a question of bandwidth, when the laptop has nice pings all the time. (btw I tried a different network card that was lying around in my home but the result is the same)
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 15 Oct 2013, 14:17

Well you said your PC is connected with the internet via Ethernet(you mean LAN ? ) and your (now broken XD ) Laptop via Wlan right? Have your laptop also an ethernet connection to compare the results then 1by1? Because comparing wlan and lan pings/performances is hard, unless the router can be a shitty one so WLan get issues

Return to “Computers & Technology”