Or 8.1 Update 1 :rolleyes:
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 20 Aug 2014, 13:09

Re: I'm looking for new OS

Move to windows 7 or to next gen win 9
Michal: This post is a great indicator on how useless your posts usually are. Chris wrote in the original message that he wants a system that isn't Windows and is free. Not to mention the last post in this topic is from February... You should read what you are replying to.
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 20 Aug 2014, 13:12

I'm running Xubuntu on my little server machine. It's actually the system my dedicated KaM server is running on.
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Aug 2014, 16:31

Move to windows 7 or to next gen win 9
Or 8.1 Update 1 :rolleyes:
Please try to learn how to work in a forum Michał. Usually you have to read more then the subject/topicname, to make a normal answer....

To Anti, I don´t think win8 is stable for most program on a normal PC-system, is it? :P Just asking, if we already mentioned windows 8 xd I´m very happy with win7 on mc pc and win8.1 on my convertible notebook, but like Chris already wrote he doesn´t want WINDOWS systems. May I hear your story, why? :D I´m just interesting to hear the usual or other reasons :D
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Aug 2014, 16:34

To Anti, I don´t think win8 is stable for most program on a normal PC-system, is it? :P Just asking, if we already mentioned windows 8 xd I´m very happy with win7 on mc pc and win8.1 on my convertible notebook, but like Chris already wrote he doesn´t want WINDOWS systems. May I hear your story, why? :D I´m just interesting to hear the usual or other reasons :D
Why wouldn't it be stable?
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Aug 2014, 16:43

I heard that quite some programs ( I guess like from older OS, mostly older games )don´t run corerctly under windows 8?!
<<

Freddy

Vagabond

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 20 Aug 2014, 17:09

I heard that quite some programs ( I guess like from older OS, mostly older games )don´t run corerctly under windows 8?!
That can be true. But unless you really need something old, that has an internal problem with the way win8 handles windows (I have a game where fullscreen doesn't really work), win8 is much better than win7. If you need something so badly, you can always use virtualization or emulation or similar means. And to make win8 friendly, I use the Classic Shell start menu.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Aug 2014, 17:24

I don't understand why that is strange..
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Aug 2014, 17:32

I never wrote that it is strange, but it´s normal for every OS that the compatiblity to older hard and software is better or worse. Just compare Windows Vista and Windows 7 and you will know what I mean.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Aug 2014, 17:44

I never wrote that it is strange, but it´s normal for every OS that the compatiblity to older hard and software is better or worse. Just compare Windows Vista and Windows 7 and you will know what I mean.
Had nothing to do with Vista, it was the manufacturers that were way too late writing drivers for the hardware..
<<

pawel95

Castle Guard Swordsman

Post 20 Aug 2014, 18:17

Vista itselves had many problems to run few games, even Windows 7 could run THE same games without any compatilbilty modes or settings.
<<

dicsoupcan

Moorbach's Guard

Post 20 Aug 2014, 19:31

Vista itselves had many problems to run few games, even Windows 7 could run THE same games without any compatilbilty modes or settings.
not settlers IV, or colonization, or the original C&C series, or any old game (wirdly enough it does with caesar III). it's just games get outdated and need patches and sometimes people do that or even go as far as to remake the entire game from scratch.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 21 Aug 2014, 11:02

"I heard Windows 8 doesn't like old games" is a VERY general statement. Probably made by guys who tried to run 1 single old game and failed. Based on my experience of trying to run KaM on Win8 once I can say "I heard Windows 8 is fine with old games". Never trust "opinions" of "experts" :P test yourself. Personally I differ between 7 and 8 on my laptop (currently 8), and have no problem using both.

Also what dicso said.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Post 02 Sep 2014, 13:22

"I heard Windows 8 doesn't like old games" is a VERY general statement. Probably made by guys who tried to run 1 single old game and failed. Based on my experience of trying to run KaM on Win8 once I can say "I heard Windows 8 is fine with old games". Never trust "opinions" of "experts" :P test yourself. Personally I differ between 7 and 8 on my laptop (currently 8), and have no problem using both.

Also what dicso said.
Use dosbox or an virtual machine or try to run in compatibility with xp or other
<<

Ben

Former Site Admin

Post 02 Sep 2014, 17:11

These posts just keep getting better and better.

Anyway, I think Chris has gotten the help he needs.
I used to spam this forum so much...

Return to “Computers & Technology”