Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Register  •  Login

I'm looking for new OS

<<

ChrisEggII

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 254

Joined: 01 May 2012, 15:04

Location: Poland

Post 17 Aug 2013, 00:38

I'm looking for new OS

It's time to start my first topic. :)
As the subject says, I'm looking for a new operating system, because my Windows XP started be boring. Do you know any OS which isn't big, doesn't need a good hardware, is free and hasn't "Windows" in its name? I already tried polish version of Ubuntu, "Przyjazny Puchacz" ("Friendly owl"?), but my computer went crazy. Everything worked slow, I didn't see menu with choise of system, Internet didn't work, etc.
Any sugestions?
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Posts: 584

Joined: 28 Jul 2011, 22:00

Post 17 Aug 2013, 00:53

Re: I'm looking for new OS

I'd suggest you linux mint, (although you might have the same hardware issues than with the "polish ubuntu" but well, trying doesn't hurt).
It has a really nice interface and seems pretty stable on my tests.
<<

ChrisEggII

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 254

Joined: 01 May 2012, 15:04

Location: Poland

Post 17 Aug 2013, 01:11

Re: I'm looking for new OS

That looks good. Simple, with polish version... Maybe I'll try this.
I hope I won't have problems after removing this, like last time. Sis will kill me if I remove all her photos again...
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Posts: 584

Joined: 28 Jul 2011, 22:00

Post 17 Aug 2013, 01:22

Re: I'm looking for new OS

Oh, good luck then ! Sometimes it doesn't work as we'd like to :/
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

User avatar

Site Admin

Posts: 1832

Joined: 03 Jan 2007, 23:00

Location: The Netherlands

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 17 Aug 2013, 09:54

Re: I'm looking for new OS

I agree with Shadaoe : Mint Linux
Missing a feature on the forum? Please let me know by sending me a PM :)

<<

ChrisEggII

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 254

Joined: 01 May 2012, 15:04

Location: Poland

Post 02 Sep 2013, 11:02

Re: I'm looking for new OS

I tried and... I removed this after 2 hours. Cinnamon didn't want to work, OS works really slow, I can't add icons in desktop (this doesn't work) and I couldn't install anything. Also this is only half-translated. No, this is worse than Ubuntu.
Mission accomplished. This is not what I expected. Next will be DSL (Damn Small Linux).
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Posts: 584

Joined: 28 Jul 2011, 22:00

Post 02 Sep 2013, 14:38

Re: I'm looking for new OS

DSL ? I'm not sure you're gonna like it :p tell us how your test is going ;)
<<

Strangelove

User avatar

Crossbowman

Posts: 230

Joined: 30 Jul 2013, 06:32

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 02 Sep 2013, 17:39

Re: I'm looking for new OS

I do recommend linux mint as well. I have been using it on my Laptop for quite a while now and its pretty good. :)
Love the Bomb!

Campaign viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1749
MultiplayerMaps viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2302
AutoComplete viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2722
<<

ChrisEggII

User avatar

Sword Fighter

Posts: 254

Joined: 01 May 2012, 15:04

Location: Poland

Post 02 Sep 2013, 17:49

Re: I'm looking for new OS

Strangelove wrote:I do recommend linux mint as well. I have been using it on my Laptop for quite a while now and its pretty good. :)

Some Noob wrote:I tried and... I removed this after 2 hours. Cinnamon didn't want to work, OS works really slow, I can't add icons in desktop (this doesn't work) and I couldn't install anything. Also this is only half-translated. No, this is worse than Ubuntu.
Mission accomplished. This is not what I expected. Next will be DSL (Damn Small Linux).
<<

sado1

User avatar

Moorbach's Guard

Posts: 1391

Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:13

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 02 Sep 2013, 19:22

Re: I'm looking for new OS

DSL isn't a good choice I'm afraid. It's very old and might fail on newer hardware - try Puppy Linux instead, it's at least still being maintained. Lubuntu/Xubuntu might be a good choice, if you're looking for a lightweight system which isn't as limited as Puppy/DSL might be. I've heard some good opinions about quite new distros Manjaro and Chakra being good replacements for Ubuntu, but I never tested them since I don't need newbie-friendly distributions. There are other user friendly distributions, such as OpenSuse, Mageia, Fedora - I never preferred them, but you always might.
<<

Duke Valennius

User avatar

Militia

Posts: 44

Joined: 10 Jul 2013, 11:01

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 02 Sep 2013, 19:32

Re: I'm looking for new OS

As my personal experience with OpenSuse is pretty bad, I wouldn't recommend it. It pretty much sucked on my laptop. Long start-up, set screen brightness to max when started, and when I tried installing nVidia drivers, GUI was downgraded (for reasons unknown) and whole OpenSuse eventually imploded and failed to start... so much for that. Of course, your experience may vary ;)
<<

sado1

User avatar

Moorbach's Guard

Posts: 1391

Joined: 21 May 2012, 19:13

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 02 Sep 2013, 20:07

Re: I'm looking for new OS

Duke Valennius wrote:and when I tried installing nVidia drivers, GUI was downgraded (for reasons unknown) and whole OpenSuse eventually imploded and failed to start... so much for that. Of course, your experience may vary ;)

It's not like I ever liked OpenSuse (seemed to be the most reasonable RPM-based distro to me, but I never liked RPM distros); but this was likely to be the fault of binary drivers being incompatible with one of the Linux GUIs ("desktop environments") for brief amount of time.
<<

Strangelove

User avatar

Crossbowman

Posts: 230

Joined: 30 Jul 2013, 06:32

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 02 Sep 2013, 20:22

Re: I'm looking for new OS

ChrisEggII wrote:
Strangelove wrote:I do recommend linux mint as well. I have been using it on my Laptop for quite a while now and its pretty good. :)

Some Noob wrote:I tried and... I removed this after 2 hours. Cinnamon didn't want to work, OS works really slow, I can't add icons in desktop (this doesn't work) and I couldn't install anything. Also this is only half-translated. No, this is worse than Ubuntu.
Mission accomplished. This is not what I expected. Next will be DSL (Damn Small Linux).


oops, sry. Missed that post. :(
Love the Bomb!

Campaign viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1749
MultiplayerMaps viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2302
AutoComplete viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2722
<<

Turbine

Serf

Posts: 7

Joined: 26 Feb 2014, 05:23

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 26 Feb 2014, 10:17

Re: I'm looking for new OS

I'm using Linux Mint xfce, with the KDE applications installed. That way we get the fastest desktop environment (simple but effective), great selection of applications selected by the Mint developers and KDE, new modern backgrounds.

Update it, even perhaps throw in the trusty sources instead of saucy. The Linux kernel 3.13 is well worth it imo.

Cinnamon & KDE just doesn't do it for me. Cinnamon tries to duplicate the Windows way of doing things more, but the icons, visuals and default application launcher menu has much to be desired. KDE goes a bit overboard with some of the visuals, making it look amateurish. Many of the applications in the standard software suite are inconsistent. I also find KDE extremely buggy and prone to daily crashes.
<<

Michalpl

Sword Fighter

Posts: 318

Joined: 10 May 2014, 21:46

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Aug 2014, 11:43

Re: I'm looking for new OS

Move to windows 7 or to next gen win 9
Next

Return to Computers & Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest