KaM on *nix

<<

Beatmaker

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 13 Apr 2013, 21:19

KaM on *nix

Hey guys,

I was actually wondering how many people are playing KaM [Remake] on a *nix box of some sort and ,if there are any (except for me), what they use as emulator or that other thingy.. I use WINE for everything, and I don't actually know how KaM Remake looks like on win (H)

Keep up the great work!

~Beatmaker
<<

sado1

Council Member

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 13 Apr 2013, 22:20

Re: KaM on *nix

I'm playing on Linux with Wine, and I never had a single issue (playing since a year and few months). I got a laptop, and I can notice that it heats a bit more than on Windows while playing, it's not something that bothers me though.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 14 Apr 2013, 02:42

Glad to hear it works well on Wine. It's actually now possible to compile directly for Linux (x86 only) because I fixed the OpenGL libraries. However there's still a bit of stuff disabled (e.g. music) and some other weird stuff going on. Given that it runs so well under Wine we don't plan to maintain a Linux build in the near future, but it's nice to know it's possible.
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 14 Apr 2013, 11:35

Glad to hear it works well on Wine. It's actually now possible to compile directly for Linux (x86 only) because I fixed the OpenGL libraries. However there's still a bit of stuff disabled (e.g. music) and some other weird stuff going on. Given that it runs so well under Wine we don't plan to maintain a Linux build in the near future, but it's nice to know it's possible.
I guess it's not that hard to keep it compatible with Lazarus/FPC, at least as far as language 'dialect' and some base classes go, the problem starts with various dependences (focused on Delphi). That being said I'm pretty surprised you actually managed to compile it, last time I tried (after dropping in some OpenGL lib) there was a huge pile of errors so I gave up pretty soon.
TBH I think that choosing Pascal might hurt this project in the long run simple because it's not that popular nowadays, which means lack of both coders willing to help and lack of various libraries.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 15 Apr 2013, 07:22

TBH I think that choosing Pascal might hurt this project in the long run simple because it's not that popular nowadays, which means lack of both coders willing to help and lack of various libraries.
Well Skype was written Pascal and it's fairly successful nowadays ;)
You might be interested in this article:
http://www.kamremake.com/devblog/pascal ... th-worlds/
<<

sado1

Council Member

Post 15 Apr 2013, 13:00

If I knew that you'll say "no point in Linux version while Wine works good", I'd shut up :P Well, I perfectly realize that you're not going to make a Linux version for 2 community members that would be interested (and maybe 4 other people with <5 posts, who wrote the previous Linux topics), what's the percentage, 0.0005% of the userbase? :D Anyway, if you made an unsupported build without music and other fancy stuff you meant (as long as it works in multiplayer, I'm fine I guess), I'd be eternally grateful :) Don't bother if it's too much effort tho.

It's funny almost no one from Linux community is here though, after all, it was one of the old LGP games.
<<

Nissarin

Pikeman

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 15 Apr 2013, 18:00

LGP ported only one part of the game, almost decade after original release and if I remember correctly asked ridiculous amount of money for it, it might have been higher than original, so there is that..
Anyway, I think that there is a lot more linux users, probably around 2% :D
<<

Beatmaker

Peasant

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Post 16 Apr 2013, 23:09

LOL, I figured something might be up with Unix, when browsing through the source code. I guess Wine would work on most comp's, though it would indeed take some more processing power.

I agree with sado1 on the multiplayer part in a linux version, though I haven't played any yet (I'm doing all TSK missions again). On the otherside, wine will do just fine I think..
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 17 Apr 2013, 12:09

Well, I'm using Linux too, but parallel to a windows machine. And I always took the easy way and used windows for the remake. If there was a native Linux version, that might be different.

Return to “Computers & Technology”