A few things, two, actually

<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

KaM Skill Level: Beginner

Yahoo Messenger: garnuthorn

Post 20 Aug 2012, 07:54

A few things, two, actually

I think I mentioned this before, about external links. By default, the board tells the browser to open them in the same window. It would be beneficial to keep the board as the original window, or tab, and every external link set to open in another tab, or window if the browser doesn't support tabs. That way you can leave off the forum without having to manually use browser ability to return. A lot of websites do this, and I don't see why this board doesn't have that feature.

Another thing I want to note is the tree directory redundancy when at a level in the tree. We don't exactly see custom titles for a post we would view in the tree links, or where we are to the thread down to the post. But when looking from an end section to the threads within........well, now that I think about it, it isn't a redundancy, but perhaps there could be some color difference in the bottom most forum directory you are in compared to the upper branches of the tree displayed in the tree links below the main controls in the forums. I keep finding myself clicking the level I'm on when I'm already there, and anyone wouldn't know if a thread in that section updates anyways in refreshing it every so often, except the root board link. I think it would help especially now that the Remake has its own section, among other things. I was originally going to suggest removing the ability of the link at the Section you are at, except when you are viewing a thread in the section. Maybe the color code can show that, too.
<<

Shadaoe

Knight

Post 20 Aug 2012, 10:51

Re: A few things, two, actually

About the tab/windows thing, it is far less intrusive like it is now than other websites, spamming you with tabs/windows you don't want.
If you want to open the link in another tab, just middle-mouse-button click it, it works on almost any browser afaik ;)
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 20 Aug 2012, 11:38

I think I mentioned this before, about external links. By default, the board tells the browser to open them in the same window. It would be beneficial to keep the board as the original window, or tab, and every external link set to open in another tab, or window if the browser doesn't support tabs. That way you can leave off the forum without having to manually use browser ability to return. A lot of websites do this, and I don't see why this board doesn't have that feature.
Use ctrl+click when opening a link. I agree with you that it would be better if links open in a new tab by default, but since target _blank is no longer supported, there are only workarounds to accomplish this. Therefore, I think it's not too much trouble to use ctrl+click.
Another thing I want to note is the tree directory redundancy when at a level in the tree. We don't exactly see custom titles for a post we would view in the tree links, or where we are to the thread down to the post. But when looking from an end section to the threads within........well, now that I think about it, it isn't a redundancy, but perhaps there could be some color difference in the bottom most forum directory you are in compared to the upper branches of the tree displayed in the tree links below the main controls in the forums. I keep finding myself clicking the level I'm on when I'm already there, and anyone wouldn't know if a thread in that section updates anyways in refreshing it every so often, except the root board link. I think it would help especially now that the Remake has its own section, among other things. I was originally going to suggest removing the ability of the link at the Section you are at, except when you are viewing a thread in the section. Maybe the color code can show that, too.
Could you make a screenshot of what you mean, because I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean.

I moved the topic, since you're talking about the forum, not the website.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 20 Aug 2012, 17:01

Here is an example of a mock up of the color I was referring to from a screen rip of this thread. The circled area would be the alteration of the color of the subsection we are in of a different color than higher sections to show where we are in the forum tree.

I was also thinking that in addition to the different color to the browsed low section you are browsing that there needs to be no link, as you are already at that section. I think it would still be useful, though, to keep the root link at the root of the board, the "Board Index", always as a link, though, if you lurk the boards so you can use the forum to refresh the forum cache for new posts.

EDIT: And another thing, if you are in a thread of a low section of the forum, technically the last tree section you are in should still be linked on the page. I just see redundancy in having a link on the forum to the section you are already viewing, except for the root of the board view.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Aug 2012, 17:26

Here is an example of a mock up of the color I was referring to from a screen rip of this thread. The circled area would be the alteration of the color of the subsection we are in of a different color than higher sections to show where we are in the forum tree.

Hi,

I've taken a look at your example. I'm still not sure why you want a different color, since the forum structure (where you are in the tree) is clearly visible with the arrows ('>')..
I was also thinking that in addition to the different color to the browsed low section you are browsing that there needs to be no link, as you are already at that section. I think it would still be useful, though, to keep the root link at the root of the board, the "Board Index", always as a link, though, if you lurk the boards so you can use the forum to refresh the forum cache for new posts.
I disagree on this. I use that link very often. You're visiting a topic in that forum, not the forum itself.
EDIT: And another thing, if you are in a thread of a low section of the forum, technically the last tree section you are in should still be linked on the page. I just see redundancy in having a link on the forum to the section you are already viewing, except for the root of the board view.
See the answer above.

Besides, I've never seen a board that uses a color system in the way you are suggesting.
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 20 Aug 2012, 18:03

Hi,

I've taken a look at your example. I'm still not sure why you want a different color, since the forum structure (where you are in the tree) is clearly visible with the arrows ('>')..
Well, there is another reason why, on that aspect. With a different color to the structure end, it is very catchy and the eye darts right to it, if it was an alternate color than the rest of the structure list.
I disagree on this. I use that link very often. You're visiting a topic in that forum, not the forum itself.
My edit attempted to clear that up. I was not referring to deadening the link in a topic view, only to the sub structure you are viewing at the time, with the exception of the root of the structure when there and the structure end when at a topic view. I think you misunderstood what I was implying involving a redundant link. Makes just as much sense in Windows explorer tree view when you are already in the folder you view based on what the tree shows but after you open a file you are then looking at the file, from the directory source. YET, a thread and a topic in my regard is the same thing. Threads populate sections, any section, unless the admin restricts thread spawning to the ends of the sections and only are usually seen with sections, too, and then as admin posts. OF COURSE, in forum speak, a thread is never a section, like a folder to a file in a tree directory listing format of storage, if that's how the OS keeps track of them in a page file.

See the answer above.

Besides, I've never seen a board that uses a color system in the way you are suggesting.
On that observation, I don't think it matters if the structure end is colored, I don't think I've actually seen that on boards either. They usually do something else: bold text, underline, italics. What I'm pretty sure I have seen before also, some boards grab the string of characters from a title topic and append that to the tree in a particular style. A color difference could be somewhat original if you haven't seen it, if you've seen board after board. Maybe this forum could have that perk above others.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 20 Aug 2012, 21:53

Interesting. I've been taking a look at how vBulletin does it, and they treat it the way you're suggesting. That is, when browsing the section itself, not when visiting a thread/topic in that section.

But still, I'm not really convinced about the need. That's why I'd like to hear more people. So everyone, please give your opinion on the matter :)

Thanks!
<<

ExecutioneRRRR

Blacksmith

Post 20 Aug 2012, 22:23

My feedback: The colours would be cool ;) Can't really comment much. I don't see it is necessary but it is always good to update things!
Knights and Merchants in Australia is Roo-Riffic!
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Aug 2012, 08:10

...but it is always good to update things!
Be careful, that's not true.
<<

ExecutioneRRRR

Blacksmith

Post 21 Aug 2012, 08:39

Let me guess, facebook timeline? XD
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Aug 2012, 08:41

Let me guess, facebook timeline? XD
No, more like AVG which updates their Anti-Virus and prevents millions of PC's from booting.. :rolleyes:
<<

ExecutioneRRRR

Blacksmith

Post 21 Aug 2012, 10:37

No, more like AVG which updates their Anti-Virus and prevents millions of PC's from booting.. :rolleyes:
Classic troll by AVG!
:D Who uses AVG anyways? Avast has a cool robotic voice! :P
<<

Garnu_Thorn

Rogue

Post 21 Aug 2012, 16:23

I really wouldn't consider this that much of an update fail to this forum update idea.

I also want to remind posters, if this happens (no, not the forum update possibility), that the forum is not the Remake, we are not making it a workable version of a previous nostalgic forum. My suggestions are to add flair to this forum and make it easier to work with.
<<

T*AnTi-V!RuZz

Former Site Admin

Post 21 Aug 2012, 19:49

I really wouldn't consider this that much of an update fail to this forum update idea.

I also want to remind posters, if this happens (no, not the forum update possibility), that the forum is not the Remake, we are not making it a workable version of a previous nostalgic forum. My suggestions are to add flair to this forum and make it easier to work with.
You wouldn't, but I would.

You see, every modification we make / install to the core of phpBB, increases the chance of an update that will fail, which will 'destroy' the board. I'm a proponent of installing little to none modifications.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 22 Aug 2012, 00:44

You see, every modification we make / install to the core of phpBB, increases the chance of an update that will fail, which will 'destroy' the board. I'm a proponent of installing little to none modifications.
I agree that keeping things simple is probably a better idea, unless it's a really good feature like the mini-chat or image resizer.

Return to “Forum”